Dear Parents / Guardians, Students, and Community Members,
I hope this letter finds you and your family well. I am writing to update you on our ongoing planning efforts to reopen schools in September. As many of you know, the New Jersey Department of Education released guidance on June 26. Please review some content taken directly from the guidance:
- Absent a shift in public health data, schools and districts must reopen for modified in-person instruction and operations at the start of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Must comply with CDC, state, and local guidelines. Districts should abide by the advice of local health officials to determine the safest course of action based on local circumstances, which will change as the public health landscape evolves.
- Social distancing will be a guiding principle.
- Many schools and districts will have to operate school buildings at reduced capacity, requiring the establishment of hybrid learning environments (in-person and remote).
- Districts need to be prepared to pivot to remote instruction at any time during the school year.
- School staff and visitors are required to wear face coverings unless doing so would inhibit the individual’s health or the individual is under two years of age. Students are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings and are required to do so when social distancing cannot be maintained, unless doing so would inhibit the student’s health.
In the spirit of collaboration and in order to gain valuable perspectives, CACS has established a committee as it works towards the development of a comprehensive plan. The committee includes the following representatives:
Acting Lead Person, School Business Administrator, Social Worker, School Nurse, Child Study Team Member, Custodian, Office Staff, Teacher, NJEA building Representative, Food Service, Board of Trustee members, parent representation.
The committee members will work with the Board of Trustees established sub-committees and will be guided by the following principles (listed in no particular order) that are helping to guide the effort:
- Health and Safety; of all students and staff
- Engagement; ongoing among all community groups
- Learning; uphold the integrity of our instructional program
- Inclusivity; ensure equitable access for all students
- Wellness; prioritize social and emotional needs and development
- Empathy; caring for one another
We anticipate being able to share the framework of a proposed plan with you in approximately two week in hopes of getting your feedback prior to ultimately submitting a plan to the State. The current situation is constantly evolving and challenging, but we are a resilient and supportive community. There is nothing that we cannot overcome together.
Thank you for your continued partnership and support. We look forward to updating you on our progress very soon. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the school at the main number or email us at email@example.com.
Acting Lead Person